Thursday proved to be an interesting day at school. It started off as a typical day trying to adjust to yet another new schedule. Our teacher had to leave at 11, so she left, and we tried to figure out lunch times for us adults. We then sat around and discussed the new rotation thing we were doing and why it was so confusing and then I left for lunch. I get back from lunch around 12:15, and while in the hallway near the cafeteria, I hear a huge boom. I shrug it off as though someone has dropped something in the kitchen. Been known to happen. About 5 minutes later, our principal comes on the announcements and says we are going to a code yellow. I know this means go to the classroom, make sure doors are locked, and be on the lookout. Trying to get kids who aren't done eating into the classroom is difficult!
5 minutes after this she comes on the announcements again and says that if we have an outside facing door, to open it. This is when I start to get panicky. This same day Stewart's Creek had gone into a code red mode, because someone was spotted near the school with a gun. I knew then we weren't dealing with an intruder, but something was up.
Another 5 minutes pass, and she gets on the PA system and says we need to evacuate. Now, our kids. We are right in the middle of their nap time. Its around 12:40ish at this point. Not to mention its getting to be around 95 or hotter outside! Oh my. Thank goodness our student teacher said grab our purses because if she hadn't there is no way we would have gotten home or anything!
We end up waiting outside what seems like an eternity, only 45 mins or so probably. We walk out to our normal place and then are told to get further away from the building and pushed to the field way in the back. I also have the radio and hear communication between the officials, and that's when I hear its a gas leak, and we are relocating to another school. The fire department showed up, ambulances, and police cars. They started blocking off driveways left and right. We are able to get transported to another school, just down the road, and everything turns out fine.
It was an eventful Thursday. I'm glad the kids behaved so well, well as well as can be expected for autistic kids in 95 degree heat, during nap time! Things were safe to go back into today, but I was really hoping for a 4 day weekend, and a me day! :) Somethings don't happen that way.
Onto personal news: Kenneth and I have passed the application process for the apartment, and are signing the lease on Wednesday. Things are getting packed up, but as of tonight, I'm going to start putting everything into the guest bedroom, since it will be empty. Move in date is set for 3 weeks from today. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but moving into this apartment will help us save more than 200$ extra dollars a month. So we should be racking in major savings in the next few months. Which will be great, so we can get a house when I get out of nursing school or physical therapy school.
That brings me to my next topic. I've decided that I'm going to apply to 3 colleges for nursing school, and another 3 to become a physical therapy assistant or occupational therapy assistant. I decided I didn't want to become a Radiologic Technology Program because I was scared for radiation issues, that I didn't want to know I might have caused. I looked at an ultrasound tech, but I'm sorry, those pictures just confuse me! Medical transcriptionist might be fun, but I can't sit behind a computer all day and type up notes! Maybe when I'm 70, sure, but not now! :) So that leaves me with those options. Physical therapy assistant is pretty appealing because I've got all the prereq's, I just would have one year to complete, but it requires a ton of volunteer hours, and I'm not sure how I would squeeze that into my already busy life. Occupational would be fun, because there are so many things that you can work with them on. Squeezing things, holding pencils, all fun stuff. So yea, those are my thoughts with my schooling as of now.
3 comments:
That was an eventful day! Glad the kids did well!
If you did the ultrasound thing I'm sure they would teach you how to look at the pictures! If I ever even could think about going into the medical field, that's probably where I would head.
The pictures aren't too confusing once you study them over a few times!
arg i posted that on my old account!
Post a Comment