Sunday, December 20, 2009

Weddings and Graduation.. really really long!

I went to a wedding tonight. It was simple. It was different. It was pretty. The ceremony didn't make me cry, until I was looking in the back after it was over, and the two moms were embracing one another bawling. Their two babies had just gotten married. And then I go and I think: my mom won't be doing that at mine.

We go and we have a few good moments of talking about wedding stuff. Then I mention that I am probably going to send out save the dates late Jan. And I get home from Kenneth's and there is printed paper sitting on my bed saying how STD's (save the dates) don't go out until 6 to 4 months before the wedding. Sending out STD's means that this wedding is going on, and right now I just feel like I'm preparing for something that isn't going to happen because my mother is going to stop it. People are asking about where we are registered and that's info that needs to get out. Plus, hello! We are getting married prime time wedding month. We are getting married on a weekend, that doesn't involve a holiday, so therefore people are probably going to have to ask off for that Friday. And 90 percent of the guest list is coming from out of town. Plus I really want everyone to see the wedding website that I have running for it. She keeps pulling me further and further from her being included in this. I wish she would understand that.

On a happy note, Kenneth and I were talking after playing the Wii tonight and we were talking about how we were happy that our relationship was long distance in the beginning. Now don't get me wrong, there were a lot of faults but it was great because we were able to discover so much more. I had to learn to be more patient and caring; and its because of this I am so thankful for him. He called me his spoiled little princess and I have never been happy to hear those words come out of his mouth. :) I have a wonderful guy who loves me and would do anything for me. Along with a future family who is amazing to me and I am also getting a great sister-in-law :)

Oh, my wonderful fiance bought me Trans Siberian Orchestra tickets for Sunday Jan. 3. I'm kinda excited!

Graduation still went on as scheduled today. Kinda of surprising. My grandparents did make it out of Johnson City today and meet us in Lebanon. We talked with them for a few moments then they headed back north. This Link will lead you to an article and you can see how much of a storm this was. The main interstate is where this is filmed and my own grandparents said that it was like a parking lot. One of my friends parents were stranded here because traffic was at a standstill for 6 hours! I decided not to risk it. The good news is that its snowing a little outside right now.

I wrote this one day when I was procrastinating on studying. It was supposed to post today at my graduation time but it didn't, so here it goes: Less than three years ago, I was preparing myself for a dream that had been mine since I was 12. I was about to start nursing school at ETSU. I was leaving my family, friends, and everything that I had known since I was 12, to start a new life. In a city I didn’t know, and nor did I have any friends there. I was planning on staying there and not coming back after graduation.

About two years ago to the date, I got my dreams crushed. I didn’t know what to do. And I was so disappointed in myself for messing up my life, with that close of a point scale. I was frustrated with the college for not even giving me a second chance and not being there for me when they raved about how great the tutoring was. I was frustrated with boys and I swore off dating. I was disappointed with lots of things.

But I bounced back! I found a new major and minor (in less than 2 weeks) and started taking 19 hour semesters. Two years ago, I started in with public health. I made friends who became inseparable with me. I started to love living here. I started to get involved and do more extra things around the college. And I would love to stay in Johnson City. I didn't want to leave for breaks. I learned my way around the tri-cities (Johnson City, Bristol, and Kingsport). I got involved with PHSA (Public Health Students of America). I started teaching CPR. I started helping out in the nursery at church on Sunday. And all that was great, but I also had a life in the Boro. Now that I am engaged to a great guy and I know it is time for us to go and make our own path in the world. Now here I am, 71 credit hours in 2 years. And I am done. I finally have finished college. I graduated.

.. and the only thing I can think about is how I still want to be a nurse.
So a lot of you might be asking what is next. Well. Kenneth wants to get into law school and I want to get my RN. But in order for me to do that I need to take A&P 1 over again, the five year currency has run out. So I will probably take that class, while planning our wedding, and of course applying to different nursing schools. The places we are looking at is here (in the Boro), in Columbia, SC, and also in Florida. If I were to get into nursing schools in SC or FL it would be great because those are the two places Kenneth is looking at law school and we can start earning instate tuition for grad school. Not to mention allow us to get settled before he starts.

New thoughts: So. Lots of things in my life are up in the air. But there are a few things that are certain. All my hard work paid off (181 credit hours, good lord, its a LOT!). I now have a B.S in Public Health. Kenneth and I are getting married in like 9 months.. wow! And I am looking at nursing school. If I don't get into Motlow for this fall, we are moving to South Carolina in January, because I will hopefully be able to start there then. Then two years of nursing school for me, and three years of law school for Kenneth, and then we can finally move on with our lives.

Lots of things changing. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Change is the one thing that is constant.

3 comments:

Amy said...

If you have that many people coming in from out of town, I think it's a good idea to send out your STDs a little earlier than the norm.

What's funny is that people were asking me about where I was registered just months after my engagement as well, and because of this we registered at one place by Christmas so people could buy us wedding Christmas gifts, but that basically did not happen. No one really bought us anything (from our registry anyways) until April, when our first shower was, so you can wait on that.

I'm sorry you missed your graduation, but if you do school again you can walk then. Congrats on graduating with all those hours though! I know that was a lot of work!

Anna W. said...

Hannah sent her Save the Dates out like, nine months in advance-- I always thought that was the norm.

And Amy's right about people not buying you presents until you have a shower. We registered three months before our wedding and didn't get stuff until February. But, you may be a different case since so many of your relatives live out of state. I think 'most' people will register 4-6 months out, so you've still got some time.

Amy said...

Forgot to mention that you'll enjoy the TSO concert! Garrett and I are so sad we can't make it this year. We've been the last two years and it's incredible!